Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Vacation #2

Vacation #2 at the family cabin in Echo Lakes was refreshing as always. Lily and the Cheetah went up on Monday morning. I had to wait till Wednesday a.m. due to work and call-out status, as always.


The first two days Lily had the Brown Family up. The Cheetah attends school with Abby the youngest daughter. We learned last year that cabin vacations now require friends to play with; parents don’t cut it any longer with the Cheetah.

Wednesday night my long time friend Thor and his daughter Sienna came up. We had a lot of fun hiking, fishing, playing.

I was curious to see what the body would do after TRT 50K. I took Sunday and Monday off due to a swim meet, packing the family and then work. After that I planned to run while up at the cabin and train thru for Wildest Run 100K. This week and the next would be my final push before a taper.

Most of the time at the cabin you do a lot of walking. I’ll hike with the kids, walk to the lake which is a little over a mile one way. Just walking/hiking around a couple of days I did 5 miles before my run, (I wore my Garmin because I was curious).

I found some nice loops on the TRT/PCT to run while on vacation. I planned to do a big run Saturday down the Hawley Grade trail and back up the old highway as a final big workout.

Running at altitude wasn’t bad, I noticed it, but compared to past few years it was not too bad. The biggest problem I have at altitude is eating. It just kills my appetite. This would hurt me on all my runs I did over hour half in length while up at the cabin.

The Hawley Grade trail runs 1.8 miles down to the cabins in Myers. I did a loop on fire roads near the cabin so it was 3 miles total to the bottom. From there it was a flat road run to the base of the old highway. Along the way I found a pair of $5 cross country skies for the Cheetah at a yard sale, SCORE!! The old highway road is closed to vehicle so you can run up the middle of the road. This route was obviously popular with area cyclists and walkers; there were a lot of people doing intervals on the lower climb.

The climb is pavement and completely exposed. To aid the training effect I went mid-day on this run. It was mid 80’s but that sun sure beats down on you at 7000+ ft.

I was able to run the first half of the hill about 15 mins of running. After that it got steeper I had to mix in some power walking. After crossing Hwy 50 I ran the remaining mile to the top, OUCH, switchbacks. At Hwy 50 I realized I was a bit low on food which made that last mile extra fun.

The total loop was approximately 10miles with a lot of downhill and uphill running. I wanted to go father but I was bonked and hey, it’s vacation. I ended up with 30miles of vacation week running which was fine with me.

I will be coming back up for more training in the future. The altitude running is difficult but it’s a nice addition to the training load.

As always I had some interesting things occur to me. This usually occurs anytime I take a vacation. Usually right before or after vacation I have a crazy situation at work. This time it was something really good during vacation and really bad after vacation happened.

YAHTZEE!!!

In January Thor came up and we did a family winter vacation at the cabin. While there Yahtzee was brought out and a vacation ritual was born. It can get ugly at the table. If the kids weren’t playing there would be some serous smack talking laid down by the adults.

This go around was the most incredible Yahtzee game I’ve ever played or heard of. The game had seven total Yahtzee’s, (which is all six dice the same number if you didn’t know). Sienna had four of those Yahtzee’s, including her last roll of the game. Let’s just say she won the game. I took her the next day to buy a Lotto ticket with her picking the numbers, we didn’t win anything.

CANCELED

The bad news greeted me as soon as I got home. After not viewing email or the internet for a week, the first thing I did was check my email. The first email I read stated the Wildest Run 100k I had been gearing up for was now canceled. Lets just say I was pissed off, not a nice way to end a vacation.

The RD was very nice and sent me a refund and explained why he had to cancel. Basically it was cost and I think a lack of registered runners. I fumed for a while and then got over it.

So I have decided to run Sierra Nevada 53.2 and maybe some other races. CIM is still my late season goal, but I need a WS100 qualifier before November.

I have yet to decide what to do in August, but I’m leaning towards a long speed hike in the Tahoe area.

Below are some pictures of how we roll on vacation and yes I got the wife doing the Catalog Pose now.

AB


1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the photos! Lily does an AWESOME pose! ha

    Sorry to hear about your race. :( Bummer but those vacation photos look like a blast!

    ReplyDelete