Monday, June 15, 2009

Tapering BLOWS!!!!

Now I know this is the common sentiment felt by runners of all types during a Taper. I myself share the view, but I also know it is needed to have a good day come race day.

My Taper includes not just the physical, but the mental Taper. After months of running according to a training plan taking into account, pace, distance, canyons, blah blah blah. I’m using the Taper to do the opposite for a mental break. Last week I ran when I wanted at the distance and pace I wanted, when I wanted. This break from the monotony of training has been nice. Another plus, sleeping in on a Saturday or Sunday, WOW! what a concept. I didn’t know what to do with myself Sunday when I was still in bed at 7am when I’m usually at Lake Natomas running.

So what blows about a Taper to me, it’s not the cut back on training or the nervous energy. For me it’s the little aches and pains that seem to pop up for no reason. Example: it was a light week running, the lightest in weeks. OK so why the F%*& are my hammies tight and my IT band hurt. This never fails, in 2007 before States my IT band started screaming during the Taper, weird. Oh well I do what I know to solve the issue (foam roller) and usually by race day it’s no big deal.

Otherwise I’m looking forward to race day. As I blogged before the goal of this years race is a better experience than 2007, regardless of finishing time, (i.e. not walking the last 15miles of the race).

I’ve been pumping up my daughter Izabella for the finish. I told her to wear her running shoes because this year we’re running from the Robie aid station to the finish. She says she ready to rock, WOO HOO!!!!!

AB

No comments:

Post a Comment